Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Room by Room

I'm tackling the basement.  Room by room.  After months of being an invalid I'm finally a slightly more able bodied person.  And after months of neglecting all proper methods of organization my house was becoming a bit of a disaster zone.

Las week was the office.


I have the most fabulous built in bookcases ever-- made by my fantastically amazing husband.  And in case you didn't know-- these bookcases are actually Ikea's Billy bookcases that we customized for our  office.  (You can read more about the projects we've tackled in the office here).


But after months of neglect the office was terribly disorganized-- and my bookcases were looking terrible too.  So I took everything off the shelves, sorted through the mounds of paper work, office supplies, and sewing paraphernalia and then put it all back together.

I rearranged the shelves a bit and am liking the way they look.


And I finally took my metal Superstore bins back from Caleb.  His little stuffed animals did look pretty cute in their cages, but I'm excited to finally have a place to stash my fabric...


And... speaking of Billy bookcase hacks-- did you see the one's Centsational Girl completed last week?  They look pretty sweet!  I'm liking the way she painted the back of the bookcases blue... although I do like the look bead board we used to update the bookcases in our office.

{read more about her bookcases here}

It's soooo nice to have my office/sewing room organized again... kinda makes me feel like doing a little sewing :)

10 comments:

kelly ens said...

if i had some extra cash laying around, i would hire you. i'm sure i've said that before. and probably doug for his building skills (not that my husband couldn't do it, but those Toews boys seem to just whip stuff together!)

Bonnie said...

Looks great! And I like the sounds of an upcoming sewing project :) I always love what you create.

Gord and Andrea said...

just for the record... i like yours better :) i also spied some fabrics that i've been loving hanging out in your 'to sew' baskets.

Trev and Rebekah said...

Glad you are feeling more able to move around and tackle organization. I am able to move fully and organization is something that isn't always on my top list of things to do. :0)

Unknown said...

Wow! I love this! He did such a great job and the styling is perfect! I want those wire baskets:)

Anonymous said...

Where did you get those fab curtains?

Elissa said...

Hi! I made those curtains-- more on that here:

http://dougelissa.blogspot.com/2011/06/its-pinch.html

Andrea said...

I know this is an older post but just found it again and love what you did with these bookcases! How do you find the dark laminate? We are thinking of putting dark laminate in our new (to us) place but people keep telling me it's a nightmare to keep clean. I kind of think I'd rather have a floor that I love even if it gets messy fast than flooring that I don't like...

Unknown said...

Wow, you have me itching to do exactly that (ceiling to floor bookcases) when I have the opportunity (or when my husband has the energy to help!) Thanks for sharing an inspirational idea

Unknown said...

We are working on a project similar to this right now. Wondering how you did the sides of bookshelves to look like wainscoting? It really adds a nice touch!
Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks! And beautiful work!