Friday, January 07, 2011

Sew much fun...

While everyone else played Super Mario on the Wii during Christmas holidays, I was hard at work.  As I've mentioned before-- my Mom is the expert when it comes to sewing.  I have much to learn.  So I thought that I should really get her to teach me a few more tricks while I was at home for the holidays.

Project number one... piping.  I'm going to need to know how to do this when I attempt to re-cover my chair, so I figured I could start small by making a pillow with some piping.  While we were in the city one day I ran into Fabricland and picked up some fabric in the clearance section (just needed something to practice on that didn't look too nasty) and then spent the afternoon putting it together.

Sewing with piping is not for the faint of heart.  It's pretty finicky work.


But the end result was a success.  I really love the look of piping-- adding the detail gives pillows and furniture such a clean tailored look.



My Mom also taught me another incredible sewing technique-- sewing invisible zippers!  They also can be a bit tricky to put in-- but they look amazing-- actually-- you can't see them... that's kind of the point.


Well, there's a few more sewing techniques I can check off my "learn how" list.

7 comments:

KDees said...

Pretty darn good for a first attempt at two major sewing techniques. I think I would have alot to learn from you, never mind your mom! :)

Amy Smith said...

love it! you are my hero.

gord and janice said...

Ahhh!!! I love your cushions and your piping! I just tried to hem some curtains and had a heck of a time with it let me tell you. Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas too. Truthfully I missed going back to Sask. Except for the weather mind you. Don't think I'll ever miss that :)

Bonnie said...

Beautiful. You must have a lot of sweet throw pillows in your house.
If we weren't moving to the other side of the world, I'd pay you to make some for my house! :) Nice work!

Danae said...

very crafty! Love your chair (from the previous post) - can't wait to see what you do with it...

(if you want to, you can email me @ danaeric@hotmail.com I can give you access to my blog - which I have set on private) Our kiddos are very close in age so I can relate a lot to your posts!

Carol said...

Great job with the new sewing skills!

Erin C. Young said...

what is the name of the fabric you used? love it! i make a ton of throw pillows for our house....no piping or hidden zippers....would love to someday, but for now fast and easy is the way I go with two small kids in the house. :)
erincyoung (at) yahoo.com