Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Feeling Thrifty

If you've read my blog for any length of time you would know that I love a good deal.  I also love thrift stores-- the thrill of the hunt-- a great deal-- it gets me every time!  A few weeks ago someone suggested that I write about my thrift store shopping process-- when do I go, how often, what do I look for, what's a good deal... and so on.  So, here it is... my personal guide to thrift store shopping.


Where, When, and how often... 

I usually shop at my local MCC thrift store-- the volume of stuff that they process is incredible-- every time I stop by there is new stuff.  I try to avoid Saturdays (that place is nuts on the weekend) unless they have a sale-- when things are half price I'm willing to brave the crowds.  I usually try to go early on in the week-- most people who drop their donations off would do it on a Saturday-- I assume that the new stuff is probably making its way into the stores at the beginning of the week.  I like to browse through the store a couple times a month on average.  If I'm looking for something specific I'll go more regularly.

Stuff I've found...

Well-- very rarely do I find exactly what I'm looking for.  Most of the time I randomly stumble across something that I think is awesome-- but am not entirely sure where it will go in my house.  But, if it's cheap enough and has a little vintage charm I'm always willing to give it a try!

Pretty much every room in my house has something I've found at a thrift store...


What do I consider a good deal...

The most expensive items (1, 5, 8, & 9) were $15.00... a lot of stuff I've found for $1-2 (2, 3, 4, 6, & 7).  I've painted a few things (8 & 9) but others I've left as is-- the worn finishes are sometimes too fantastic to paint over!  Generally, I don't like to pay more than $15-20 for a piece of furniture-- but if I found something that was insanely fantastic and was in great condition I would be willing to fork out a little more cash :)  For accessories-- I don't buy anything that's more than $2-3.  If something's overpriced-- you can always ask for a deal or wait until there's a sale :)

What do I look for...


Some things to keep an eye out for-- great picture frames (if they have glass you can get a new mat (dollar store!) and frame photos-- if there's no glass-- think chalkboard!) anything vintage schoolhouse-- globes, maps, textbooks, chalkboards, lamps with a classic base that could be updated with a new shade, solid wood furniture, old books with great covers, industrial looking furniture, crates, baskets... those are just a few suggestions.

Here are a few items that are currently on my thrift store radar...

Charming twin bed frames-- I would love to find a spool bed or a vintage metal bed frame for Eme's room.  Check out some of these examples...




Colorful quilts and afghans-- so great.





Landscape paintings or any vintage/antique artwork that would look great on its own or as a part of a collection-- gotta love a great gallery wall!!



Mirrors-- buying a new mirror (any place other than Home Sense) can be expensive!  There are always lots of great old mirrors that just need a coat of paint...



And of course I'm always looking at the dressers and tables to see if there is anything that needs to be painted!  These blue ones are pretty fantastic...



(images via my pinterest)

Now I'm hoping you all don't run out and snatch up all the stuff I've been looking for!

Well I hope some of you found this thrifty little guide useful.  Popping into you nearest thrift store every so often can be fun if you know what to look for!  I really think that it can be a great place to find  fantastic unique stuff for your home when you're working with a tight budget.  All it takes is a little vision and some time.

Anyone else have any tips or great shops to check out?  
Anyone wanna share their best thrift store find of all time?

7 comments:

mapleleavessycamoretrees said...

Loved this post! We're of kindred thrifted spirts, you and I:)

KDees said...

Love it! I'm telling you - we would get along famously! I love thrift store shopping and I would join you once a week if I could! Great post!

InteriorGroupie said...

oh my - those leather chairs under the gallery are AMAZING...I want!

Krista said...

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that I like your blog. Just found it a few weeks ago.

I linked to you tonight on my Liebster post http://www.kjandco.ca/2012/02/liebster.html

Nadine said...

This is SO great! Thanks. I've never considered going early in the week. I usually just go if I have time.

Danielle said...

You must live in a far more "thrify" town than I do. I've NEVER seen anything like this at any of our stores. Very few of ours have furniture and when they do, they never have prices that low or furniture that even resembles that. I'm currently looking for a dresser to redo and have had ZERO luck in stores or Craigslist. I guess I just need to be patient but when you want it now, you want it now (: Great inspiration post!

Bargainmoose said...

Love your thrift store finds! We visit ours every single Saturday (most likely cause it's less then 5 mins away from our house)and we always come home with amazing finds! We have brought home anything from a Vintage Starbucks tin to a modern centrepiece for our dining room table! I think people truly underestimate the power of a good thrift store. Great Post -Kate