Monday, December 19, 2011

Things are about to get a little crazy

Yup.  Things are about to get a little crazy around here this week.  It's the last week before Christmas, I'll be getting ready to host 7 extra people at our place over the break, and... phase 3 of operation house renovation will be taking place over the next few days!!

Now, just to bring you up to speed... phase 1 was painting... phase 2 was flooring... and now phase 3 is all about energy efficiency!  A couple of weeks ago we signed up to participate in a government run energy efficiency program.  Basically you have a qualified individual assess the energy efficiency of your home, they give you a report of recommended retrofits along with a breakdown of all the government grants you could qualify for, and then you get to work!  Once you've finished making all of the necessary improvements the energy efficiency expert comes back to check things over, you turn over the receipts, and hopefully you get a bit of money back!

A few weeks ago we started with the upgrades-- switching out one of our toilets for a low flush model.

Caleb was more than happy to lend a helping hand-- and offer some advice along the way...


And I am quite happy with my new toilet-- well-- as happy as one can be about a new toilet!  But really-- I do think it's a semi attractive toilet.  We went for Kohler's Wellworth in case you're curious.


And later on this week we're gonna be tacking a big job-- replacing our windows and the glass doors in our dining room!  The windows and doors are already sitting in the garage ready to go... and they look fantastic!  It looks like we're going to start working on the windows on Thursday-- and hopefully they'll be done for Sunday when my family arrives for Christmas!

Over the past few days I have been trying to figure out how I want the exterior trim to look-- decisions decisions!! Today I went to pay for the lumber we'll be using to trim out our new windows and over the next two days I need to paint all the trim in the garage so it will be ready to go on install day.

This is going to be a crazy crazy week.  But-- it will probably be fun too.  Bring on the renovation projects!  I am over the moon excited to have new windows!  And... bring on Christmas!  I can't wait!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

sounds fun!

Anonymous said...

I like the way Caleb is telling Doug what to do.Mom