Thursday, December 29, 2011

One more thing

I almost forgot... there's something else significant happening this year... today, actually.

Today's my birthday.


And... it's my last "twenty-something" birthday.  Next year (as in tomorrow) I'll be turning 30-- wowzers. I must say that I don't mind growing older.  But I am just starting to feel old because...

I have an extremely difficult time remembering exactly how old I really am.  Is it just me or do the late 20's really blur together?  Am I 27 or 28?

A few months ago I discovered my first grey hair.  Wow, it's only a matter of time before I begin to look like my dad... oh well.  I guess being known as the silver fox (like my father) isn't the end of the world.  Being "foxy" has got to be a good thing... right?

Skinny jeans, colored jeans, leg warmers, chunky sweaters-- all those things that I thought I would NEVER EVER wear again-- I was shopping for over boxing week.  Honestly... who would have thought those orange jeans I wore in grade four would ever be cool again?  I AM old!

BUT

A few days ago I met someone for the first time.  We were talking about all those "get to know each other" kind of things.  Where are you from?  What do you do for fun?  What do you do for a living?  As I  was talking about my past profession, my kids, how long I've been married she started looking at me all funny and asked "How old ARE you?"  I told her my soon to be age... and she said "wow, you don't look that old!"  That's  got to be a good thing, right?

Well, even though today means that I'm getting older, it's still going to be a good day.  My Mom's making me homemade donuts.  I'm going to eat a whole lot of those this morning.  And I'm going to pretend that everyone's heading out to party for my birthday tonight.  And I'm going to ignore the fact that they're all going to count down the end of my birthday... because they'll be celebrating to arrival of my hubby's birthday tomorrow!  And he's turning 30 :)

6 comments:

kelly ens said...

THIRTY!!! You spring chicken, you.
Happy 30th birthday :) I started noticing gray's a few months before my 30th too. i find now that i'm in my 30s, i can't remember how old i am. i literally have to remember how old my husband is (which i find easy enough) and subtract 2 years. EVERY time. I can't simply remember that I'm....wait...he's 34...I'm 32 :)
happy birthday to doug tomorrow too :)

Gord and Andrea said...

that's funny. i distinctly remember you telling me just a few months ago that you were 27... :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Elissa! I clearly remember the day you were born so it can't be that long ago! Hope you have a great day with your family.........and Happy New Year to everyone in your household!

Bernice

Carol said...

So you and your husband were born in the same calendar year, but he is really one year older than you? Happy birthday to the two of you!

Team AC said...

Happy birthday, Elissa... hope it's a great one!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Elissa. Blessings for a great year ahead!

Gloria