Thursday, March 22, 2012

It's Picture Time...

I'm back!  Well, kind of.  Jet lag is a funny thing-- one minute I'm hanging out at home feeling all normal and the next minute I can't remember what day it is, what time it is... or where I am.  But the last time I checked I'm sitting in my living room and the kids are resting...

Anyways... it's time to start recapping the trip-- because as you can imagine I have SO many pictures!!

Here we go...


We began our trip in Rome.  There is SO much to see and do so we opted to spend 3 full days taking it all in.  As you can imagine-- it was incredible.  Basically, our days consisted of pizza and pasta...


...carting around our bags... 

(sidenote-- it's funny how the cobblestone streets begin to lose their charm after rolling your suitcase down them for a few blocks--- thump thump thump thump...)


... attempting to figure out the metro system... (although I usually looked a lot more confused than I do in this picture)


... studying the map...


... and sunshine!!!  Long time no see...


Along the way we managed to see a lot of pretty amazing things too.  On our first day in Rome we walked and walked and walked... and saw a few of the sites.

One of our first stops was the Pantheon.  The Pantheon was built (the second time around) in 125 AD and out of all the ancient buildings in Rome it is the most complete and well preserved.  The entrance is impressive...


But the inside is unbelievable.  I studied the Pantheon in Art History years and years ago... and it was incredible to see and experience it in person.  I think it was one of Doug's favorite stops too... the architectural design of the dome is amazing-- especially when you consider how long ago it was constructed.



We also took in Piazza Navona--- one of the most beautiful squares in the world.  Honestly-- so beautiful.  I can only imagine how much more incredible it would be in the summer-- I would probably never want to leave.  I could happily spend my entire summer in that square-- all I would require is an unlimited supply of gelato.


And of course we stopped at the Trevi Fountain.  It was crowded-- of course-- but fantastic.


Day two was all about the Coliseum.  This was also one of Doug's favorite sites-- I have a feeling we're going to be watching Gladiator again sometime real soon...





Since it was Sunday, many of the main streets in Rome by the Coliseum were closed down... so it was the perfect day to stroll through the city and take in the sights.  Everything is picture worthy...




We eventually made our way to the Santa Maria Maggiore-- a Basillica originally constructed in the 5th century.  It is as beautiful on the outside as it is on the inside...



We saw many many beautiful Basilicas in Italy and I'd say it's the only one that comes close to being as impressive as St. Peter's.

And we took in a few more sites... 21 degrees and sunny?  I could have strolled through those streets all day.  Actually, we did.



Day three was spent at the Vatican Museum and St. Peter's Basilica.  I saw the Sistine Chapel-- a major highlight for an Art History geek such as myself.  Taking pictures in the Sistine Chapel is a major no no... hence the reason for no pictures.  But you all know what it looks like. If not-- google it.

St. Peter's... so incredible.



Michelangelo's Pieta is one of the most beautiful statues I've ever seen.  



And apparently I wore the same sweater every day I was in Rome.  We only brought carry on bags people-- outfit capabilities were limited.


And that was our first stop on the trip.  Rome is a busy, fascinating, eclectic city with tons to see and observe.  I loved every minute of it... especially since I got to see it all with this guy...


And that was stop number one!!  More to come...

9 comments:

kelly ens said...

WOW - so gorgeous!!!! can't wait to see more :)

Erica said...

Welcome home! So far, your adventure sounds like a dream. Can't wait to hear more about it!

Anonymous said...

Glad you got home safely. Your blog brings back memories of my time in Rome a few years ago. The Coliseum was one of my favorite places too.

I just got home from a tour to Israel. Lots of history and photo ops there too.

Auntie B

Barbara Matson said...

What an amazing place to visit. I have never been to Rome and hope to one day! Isn't the gelato in Italy to die for?

Carol said...

Enjoyed your recap of stop #1 and will look forward to hearing about the rest of your trip.

KDees said...

Wow, awesome! Can't wait to see more pics and hear about the rest of your fabulous Italy getaway!

Bonnie said...

So glad you guys enjoyed Rome! We too were amazed at the architecture and history of how the buildings were built, considering what time they were built in. We got NOTHIN' on architecture these days, considering all the tools/resources we have now, hey!? :)
And you look fantastic in every picture! Love the sweater :)

tan said...

Beautiful pictures..looks like an amazing trip!! Can't wait to see more:)

Kirsten said...

LOVE IT!! Brings back great summer memories. I too loved Piazza Navona. Was there music every where you went in Rome? I loved all the street performers. It just added to the ambiance. Can't wait for the next part of your trip.