Friday, April 22, 2011

Making a Headboard


I've been sleeping well lately... enjoying my new headboard :)  This week Doug finished making the legs and late one night (it was actually that day... the one with the hotdogs and the hockey game) that I heard the sound of power tools coming from the basement.  Doug was putting the finishing touches on the frame so we could move it upstairs.  I just love our late night projects :)


Our inspiration was the Colette bed from Crate & Barrel.  I love the way it looks, but not the price tag.  Seriously. If I had an extra 2 g's kicking around I'd renovate my kitchen... not buy a bed.  I knew we could make a lookalike for quite a bit less.  So I showed the picture to Doug and asked if he could build the frame for me... he was up for the challenge.  A couple of weekends ago Doug and I worked into the wee hours of the night to upholster the headboard.  We had fun.  At one point Doug may or may not have asked me to shoot him with the stapler.  Apparently he wanted to know what it felt like.  But as he was standing all the way across the garage facing the wall waiting for the blow he decided that he really didn't need to know.  Even though it was late and we were acting way too immature, we still managed to get er done.  I think it turned out great!

Here are some of the details.  I decided to go for a warm grayish sand colored linen.  I like the texture and warmth that it brings to the room.  My pictures really don't do the color justice-- the lighting situation in there is terrible (it's currently exposed hanging wires from where to old ugly fan used to be-- another story for another day) and really, I'm not an expert photographer :)  Our old Ikea Hemnes had served us well for many years (and will continue to work in the guest room)... but I like the way that our room is beginning to move away from being all matchy-matchy.  Nowadays it's all about mixing it up!!


We used nailhead trim in a brushed gold to define and outline the edge.  I'm really liking the way it highlights the curve of the headboard.


Now that it's done I can happily say that DIY-ing your own headboard is a much better deal than purchasing a ready made one for $2000 (duh).  Here's the breakdown of the costs:
  • lumber to build frame-- free-- Doug used some scraps from the garage
  • 3/8" sheet of plywood to cover the surface-- $13.50
  • 1/2" foam-- got on a 50% off sale at Fabricland-- 4 meters at $3.50 a meter
  • batting-- $10.00
  • inexpensive fabric to line headboard before upholstering with the more expensive linen-- 2 meters at $3.50 per meter
  • linen-- 2 yards at $20.00 a yard-- purchased at Fabricana
  • nailhead trim kit-- $20.00
  • lumber, stain, and hardware to build and attach legs to bed-- free-- it was already in the garage
Grand total?  $104.50.  I like this price tag a whole lot better than the $2000 one.

That's all I have for now!  Hope everyone has a great Easter weekend.  I plan to spend the weekend reflecting on the importance of Easter to me-- the cross, the resurrection, and God's goodness.  I also plan to spend some time outside in the yard (come on sun!!), maybe have an Easter egg hunt or two, and I'm definitely going to have lots of quality time with these three...



I know you're all thinking-- how did I get Caleb to sit still for the camera?


Easy.  Bribery.

7 comments:

kelly ens said...

Looks great, Elissa! So does the price tag :)

Bonnie said...

UNBELIEVABLE! The headboard is gorgeous, the price tag is reasonable and your family is beautiful! Great post.
Oh, and I love that Doug wanted to get shot with the nail gun. I can just picture the late night silliness... :)

Erica said...

Looks great! Good work you two!
Happy Easter!

Carol said...

What a team the two of you are!

Melissa said...

AMAZING headboard! Your crafty skills and talent strikes again! Your bedroom looks incredible and fresh!

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Unreal!!! It is so beautiful and you make it sound so easy. I think these big stores better start looking around blogland and realizing that nobody is paying for their outrageously expensive beds! Great job.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

I LOVE your new headboard!! Your morovian light is fabulous too...we just hung one under our new portico.
Can you tell me how you did the nailhead trim? You mentioned a kit, does that mean you didn't have to attach them one by one? Thanks, Londen