Saturday, September 11, 2010

Getting girly around here...

Emerson needed some girly things... I did my best to find some gender neutral clothes and blankets from Caleb's stash, but we needed to introduce a little bit of pink around here!  Since newborns basically live in sleepers and pajamas, I figured Emerson could use a few feminine blankets to wear!  Time for a project.  Last weekend I did a bit of online shopping on one of my favorite sites to order fabric and found  some really cute flannel that was perfect for making baby blankets.  Luckily it was on sale!  And after searching online for a coupon (found one for 20% off) my menno heart was happy.  The fabric arrived at my door three days later, and I got busy sewing!

Here's Emerson modeling my newest creations.  

Blanket number 1...





And number 2...




And the girly-ness continues around here.  My friends and family threw a baby shower for Emerson and I last night.  We brought home a ton of cute, pink, girly clothes and blankets to add to her closet.  Thanks ladies!

I knew Caleb might be a bit envious, so this morning I woke up early and re-wrapped all of the gifts so Caleb could re-open them for Emerson.  He had a blast pulling the tissue paper apart and showing Emerson all of her new things.


And why not throw a picture of Caleb in?  He may not be girly, but he's cute :)  This week I did my best to do a few crafts with him in the mornings while Emerson was sleeping.  I was having a bit of trouble coming up with projects... finally I remembered one of my favorites from children's church when I was a kid-- the classic shoestring licorice fruit loop necklaces.  You all think I'm so creative... not so when it comes to kids crafts.  Caleb may have had more fun eating the craft than making it, but in the end we had a necklace to show off... for a few seconds at least.  Here it is!


Do any of you moms have fun craft/project ideas that Caleb and I could attempt?  I may be able to stitch a blanket or two together, but I sure am not all that crafty... any suggestions would be much appreciated!

11 comments:

anj said...

your blankets are soooo beautiful! i am inspired...

Anonymous said...

Emerson is a real cutie! She has changed a lot since I last saw her almost 3 weeks ago. Wish I could be there and spend some time with all of you again. How about getting a BB gun for Caleb. You could set up a target against the concrete retaining wall in your back yard. On second thought, he's probably too young. We'll work on that someday when he comes to visit us on the farm in Sask.
Love you all,
Dad

{ as we know it } said...

i love the new blakents! so cute ...
and as for the kids craftiness i am the worst! i've been racking my brain all weekend as well to prepare for another rainy week. i'll be checking back here to see if anyone else has suggestions!
You are such a terrific mom ... rewrapping all the gifts for Caleb was genious!

KDees said...

Love the blankets!! Good job! I'm a bit jealous of the pink showing up in your house!! :)
As for crafts, why not get a "paper airplane" book from the library and learn how to fold a bunch? I'm sure your recent trip to the air show would make this craft an exciting one!

Dan and Lynn said...

I love the blankets you made for Emerson! You're very talented. And that was so sweet of you to re-wrap the presents so Caleb could open them:). He must have enjoyed that! As for crafts, I've done things like using liquid glue and macaroni to make a picture on construction paper, or decorating paper hats, etc., but nothing special. I don't have many ideas either...I'll have to come back here to check for other moms' ideas!

Trev and Rebekah said...

I'd love more craft ideas over here too. We have a big craft bin. Isaiah works on cards a lot and we send them to people. We have a little book with some ideas so we sponge paint pictures or do finger painting too. He also LOVES to just cut paper to little shreds.

Amy Schamehorn said...

Hey Elissa, So cute! As for Caleb, is he into play dough yet? You could also look up online - google a preschool website for crafts and science stuff.. they usually have lots in different themes according to the year it can be fun to get some ideas.One Idea would be to make a volcano with vinegar and baking soda- and you make the volcano part out of playdough an mix the two ingredients together in the crater inside the volcano- boys usually like that one:) Good luck!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

Love the blankets. Do you mind sharing what website you ordered the fabric off of? One crafty thing I am excited to do with Alexis this fall is collect colorful leaves and then clue them on to construction paper. She loves the collecting and the gluing! Another one is to paint popsicle sticks with her and then keep them for her to play with. I know it sounds boring but the place we just stayed at in BC had them in a bowl on the coffee table and Alexis played with them everyday. She could stack them up, spread out...etc. She loved it. So simple and yet she played with that over her toys. Looking forward to hearing other peoples ideas!

Rick and Sandy said...

Great job, Elisa; and creating memories with your children...you are a really wonderful Mommy to your children!!

kelly ens said...

thanks for asking about craft ideas - happy to read other people's ideas because i am SORELY lacking in that area.
i love that you re-wrapped the gifts for Caleb to open for Emerson :)

Jeff and Jocelyn said...

I would also love that website! I love doing sewing projects and would love some fresh fabric. If you are ever visiting in SK. their is an awesome little fabric store in Hague called Prarie Chicks. Aiden and I have made flubber, recipe online, super fun and he plays with it forever. We also make paperbag puppets, he can make whatever he feels like that day for the face. Its nice because you can use whatever you have around the house. We have also cut out the center of a paper plate and glued items for whatever season around it.