Tuesday, February 12, 2013

We're Officially Outnumbered Now...

We knew we'd be welcoming baby number three to our family over the weekend... we just didn't think it was going to be on Saturday!  I was schedule to be induced on Sunday, but our baby boy decided he couldn't wait another day and decided to surprise us a day early!

His name is Sawyer James... and we all love him like crazy!


I woke up with mildly painful contractions on Saturday morning and by about 2 pm in the afternoon I called labour/delivery to see what I should do-- felt totally fine to stay at home still, but due to some of my risk factors (previous c-section and placental abruption) wasn't sure if I was supposed to stay home. They recommended coming in so the baby's heart rate could be monitored a bit before making any decisions, so Doug and I made our way over to the hospital.  Everything looked good and I still felt pretty fine as the contractions were pretty inconsistent, so I figured I'd be going home for a while.  But, when they checked me I was already 4-5 cm dilated... and we were all pretty shocked.  So, I stayed.  By 6 pm there wasn't any real change, so the doctor decided to break my water.  An hour later the contractions were coming fast and furious, my nurse was calling the doctor every few minutes telling him to get his butt back to the hospital asap, and I knew this baby was coming... like right now.  The doctor walked in the door and after 2 minutes of pushing little Sawyer was born.  A little 8 lb 5 ounce bundle of cuteness that shrieks and squeals louder than any little baby I've every heard.  

I was shocked.  After having two complicated and somewhat dramatic deliveries with my first two kids this quick (but still painful :) and uncomplicated delivery went better than I could have ever imagined.  We  have been praising the Lord for his goodness and protection throughout this experience.  Every baby feels like a miracle-- but Sawyer's safe delivery seems so much more miraculous after the drama of my other two kid's births.

And now we're home.

Life with three kids feels pretty crazy-- but pretty great too.


But I've gotta tell you-- it feels good to be home!

In the end, I'd like to acknowledge the following things for making the first few days at home so great...

1.  My Mom for entertaining our other two kids, starting to potty train Eme, and for doing my laundry (and all of Eme's potty training laundry!)

2.  The epidural free delivery that has kept my legs and ankles from swelling up like crazy

3.  My gestational diabetes for allowing me to slip right back into my pre-pregnancy jeans this morning.   Never in a million years did I think that was gonna happen :)

4.  My new Keurig machine that provides me with hot coffee at the push of a button at all hours of the day.  Not having to wash another coffee pot or clean up messy cold coffee grounds is SO worth it these days.  And let's be honest-- when you're awake at all hours of the night with a squeaking, squawking (but still very cute and snuggly) 3 day old baby you need caffeine-- instantly.

And now Doug and I are outnumbered... and loving it :)

25 comments:

KDees said...

Love it!! Congratulations! Great post!

WLJZA said...

Congrats! He's gorgeous! So glad labour went well. Praying as you continue to adjust to being outnumbered.

tan said...

Congratulations!! He is so cute:) Enjoy the newborn stage...I miss that!!

Anonymous said...

how wonderful! congrats!

Carmen said...

Congratulations! I hope this is a precious time. I do hear that coffee helps with that.

Leanne said...

What a great birth story. Happy Birthday to baby Sawyer and congratulations to all of you! I'm glad to hear that three is fun - I'm expecting the crazy, but fun is good too :) I hope you have a good recovery and lots of time to rest.

Carol said...

Congratulations! Glad you had a good labour and delivery. Pre-pregnancy jeans already - that is going to make some people very jealous!

Dana Frieling said...

Precious post, precious baby and precious family. Congratulations! And, back into your jeans already?!...Lucky girl.

Sarah Christie said...

I stumbled upon your blog last year and am a regular follower;)A big congratulations. He looks so so lovely!! hugs from another mama of little ones

Megan Lee said...

Wow- what a great story. Lots of love to you and your (even bigger) family :)

lemondropdreams said...

YAY!! love it when the babies walk out on their own...hope everyone's adjusting well!!

Hilary said...

Congratulations! What a great birth story, especially compared to your other two. I'm due with my first this May and I love hearing about uncomplicated births. Pushing for two minutes? Sign me up! God bless your recovery, although you seem to be doing just fine :)

kelly ens said...

congratulations! I was so excited to hear the news from Jamie on Sunday :) he's so cute! I think he looks a lot like Caleb (and in the one where he's got a white toque on....kind of like his cousin Micah!). Love the name, LOVE that the delivery went sooo well, and the pre-preg jeans? i'm doing my best not to be jealous ;)

Kara said...

Congratulations Elissa. Sawyer is beautiful. All the best as you get used to being a family of 5!!

mapleleavessycamoretrees said...

Congrats, Elissa! He's beautiful. What a cute little family you have:)

robyn said...

Congratulations!! God is so good. Love his name and only 92% jealous of you fitting into your jeans in under a week...

Kristen said...

congrats on your beautiful baby boy!! life with three IS a crazy balancing act...but oh so worth it!

stephanie joy said...

oooooh!!!!
soooo excited and thrilled for you.
and praise God for such a fantastic delivery.
i'm so glad for you. :)
he is adorable!
and i love his name.
how are the kids doing with him?
are you breastfeeding?
how's that going?
thinking about you... hugs and prayers!!
xo

GSFALK said...

Celebrating Sawyer, and all the other good gifts from above. Congratulations!
Gerry & Shirley

Melissa said...

Such great news....such a sweet name! Congrats to you and your family!

JTay said...

Hooray! Congratulations!! I'm so glad he came safely! Go easy on yourself these days and enjoy lots of snuggle time!

Jessica said...

Congratulations!

RAENOVATE said...

congratulations! what a handsome little man! i only hope i continue to look as cute as you did throughout your pregnancy. xoxo

Trev and Rebekah said...

Precious. Love his hair. Congrats again.

Trev and Rebekah said...

any new pictures of your little man? i am sure he's changing and growing every day!